Tuesday, 28 July 2026

Joel 2 (résumé): An army of locusts

 Joel 2 continues to point to impending judgement for Israel whilst also mentioning God's mercy and future restoration. "Let all who live in the land tremble because the day of the Lord is coming... a day of darkness and gloom... a large and mighty army comes... nothing escapes them... they charge like warriors... they plunge through defenses... their forces are beyond number... the day of the Lord is great... it is dreadful. Who can endure it?... so return to me with all your heart... rend your heart rather than your garments... declare a holy fast... let them say spare your people, O Lord... for why should they say among the people - where is their God?... and the Lord will take pity on his people... and send you grain, and wine and oil... and I will drive the northern army from you... surely he has done great things... rejoice in the Lord your God... for the vats will overflow with new wine and oil... and I will repay you for the years that the locusts have eaten... and you will have plenty to eat and be full... then you will know that I am in Israel and that I am the Lord your God".

No comments:

Post a Comment