This chapter is the beginning of a shift in focus from judgement to hope and restoration. Initially God renews Ezekiel's calling as a watchmen for Israel and if people ignore the warnings then "his blood will be on their own head". On the other hand if Ezekiel the watchman fails to worn then it will be his responsibility. God then makes a call to repentance making it clear: "I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live". Then a wicked person who repents will receive life, and God reacts to man's current response to him. Then news arrives that the city of Jerusalem had fallen as Ezekiel had predicted. And the text says: "Then they will know that I am the Lord when I have made the land a desolate waste, because of all the detestable things they have done". But the people hear Ezekiel's message and just treat it as a show never putting his message into practice. Only when everything comes true "they will know that a prophet has been among them".
No comments:
Post a Comment