Tuesday, 28 July 2026

Amos 5 (résumé): A lament over Israel

Amos 5 brings a fervent call for Israel to genuinely repent and not present an empty façade of a form of religion. The chapter starts with a sad lament: "Fallen is virgin Israel never to rise again... and God says seek me and live!... Gilgal will go into exile and Bethel will be reduced to nothing... seek the Lord and live!... you despise him who tells the truth... you trample on the poor... I know how many are your offenses... you oppress the righteous... seek good not evil... then God will be with you like you say he is... hate evil, love good... there will be wailing in all the streets... woe to you who long for the day of the Lord... for it will be darkness not light... I hate your religious feasts... away with the noise of your songs... rather let justice roll on like a river, righteousness like a never-failing stream... I will send you into exile says the Lord". 

No comments:

Post a Comment