Paul now talks in chapter 14 about the gifts of prophecy and tongues saying initially: "Follow love, desire spiritual gifts, especially prophecy... because tongues are to God alone but prophecy strengthens men... and edifies the church... I would like all to speak in tongues but I would prefer prophecy... for prophecy is intelligible... and the trumpet needs to sound a clear call to prepare everyone for the battle... and try to excel in gifts that build up the church... and those who speak in tongues should pray for the interpretation... I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you... but in the church I would rather speak intelligible words... for tongues are a sign for unbelievers... and prophecy is for believers... so when you come together bring a hymn, word of instruction or revelation and a tongue and interpretation... all to strengthen the church... 2 or 3 in tongues is enough and there must be an interpretation... so too 2 or 3 prophets can speak with the others evaluating what is said... remembering that the spirits of prophets are subject to the control of the prophets... but women should remain silent in the churches... and if they have questions they should ask their husbands at home... for it is a disgrace for a woman to speak in the church... be eager to prophesy... speak in tongues... but always do things in an orderly way".
No comments:
Post a Comment