Tuesday, 25 August 2026

John 8 (résumé): The validity of Jesus' Testimony

(John 7:53 to 8:11 is not found in the earliest and most reliable manuscripts)

A woman caught in adultery was bought before Jesus to see whether he would apply the law to her and have her stoned. (Where the man was I have no idea!) Jesus called those present without sin to cast the first stone, and as nobody did this Jesus said neither did he condemn her. "Go now and leave your life of sin" Jesus concluded. Then Jesus said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness... I stand with the Father who sent me... my witness is the Father who sent me... I am going away... where I go you cannot come... you are from below and I am from above... when you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know who I am... the one who sent me is with me; he has not left me alone... and many put their faith in him". Then Jesus said to the believing Jews "You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free... for everyone who sins is a slave of sin... but if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed". The non-believing Jews however were angry because Jesus said they needed setting free. Then Jesus went on to say that "You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out his desire to murder... and he is a liar and the father of lies... I am telling you the truth. Why don't you believe me? He who belongs to God hears what God says". Then the Jews said that Jesus was a demon-possessed Samaritan... Jesus replied that he was not demon-possessed... I tell you the truth, if a man keeps my word, he will never see death... and the Jews asked if he was greater that Abraham who died?... Jesus answered that the Father glorifies him... but before Abraham was born, I am!... so they tried to stone Jesus!"

No comments:

Post a Comment