Wednesday, 7 October 2026

Philippians 1 (résumé): Thanksgiving & Prayer

The Book of Philippians was written by the apostle Paul to the church in Philippi and he wrote it while he was in prison. Philippi was a Roman colony in Macedonia and Paul founded the church there during his second missionary journey as related in Acts 16. Paul begins: "I thank God every time I pray for you with joy in my heart for your partnership in the Gospel... and I am sure God will complete his good work in you until the day of Jesus Christ... and I have you in my heart... and God knows how I long for you with the affection of Christ Jesus... and I pray that your love will abound more and more... so that you may discern what is best... and be pure and blameless until the day of Christ... to the glory and praise of God". Paul then goes on to relate how his imprisonment is in fact advancing the Gospel. He says that all the palace guard has heard the Gospel and the church has been encouraged, and that "the important thing is that whether from false motives or true, Christ is being preached". "Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death... for me to live is Christ and to die is gain... but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body... so that your joy in Christ will overflow on account of me... but make sure that you conduct yourself worthy of the gospel... standing firm in one spirit... though you suffer for Christ and not just believe in him".

No comments:

Post a Comment