Saturday 8 November 2014

The Death of British Culture

I suppose people might question who I am to write about this, having lived in the wilds of NE Brazil for 42 of my 65 years - but I am a Brit ex-pat and born and bred Londoner proud of my distinct London accent, and I love every bit of those beautiful British Isles.

It saddens me, on trips to the UK and as I read and watch the BBC World News, to see how British culture is dissappearing and being destroyed. I don't really know what exactly to put it down to? Is it a backlash from our colonial past which makes the Brits feel they have to give in to everyone else from anywhere as if to repair mistakes of the past? Or maybe it's an excess of generosity where anyone can come in and do anything, say anything and change anything in the name of a pluralistic modern all embracing society.

I certainly get the feel, even at this distance, of how British politics is going and sense that I personally, if I still voted in the UK, could not vote for any of the three mainline parties exactly because they do not defend Britain, its culture and values. One has the impression that all other cultures and values are defended at any cost by most politicians, but if you talk about defending true British traditions then you are liable to be given all sorts of odd labels or called all sorts of names. Maybe I have the wrong impression. We shall see.

Is it right that in the name of a free and open society we simply let anyone buy anything which is British? After all we live in a globolized free market so it must be alright. Must it? Say, if the price was right, would it be OK to sell Shakespeare's birthplace or Big Ben? The answer will probably be that such landmarks have heritage protection tags on them, but the point is that the majority of every day British houses and buildings, not to mention ways of life, are not protected by heritage tags or whatever you call them - so the lot just goes to the highest bidder!

I am conscious that I find myself sounding like a hard right nationalist which I am not, but I am a nationalist that believes in Britain with equal rights for all who defend Britain, its life and culture. I can only think that in the next general election unless there are major shifts in policy to defend Britain then I would be obliged to vote radically different than ever before.

Keep Britain British! Keep British culture and heritage alive! A dramatic U-turn is urgently needed in British politics!

No comments:

Post a Comment