Wednesday 25 March 2020

(1) However do these things happen?


Liz was born in 1949 in a house in the street where our church is in Patos. I was also born that year, thousands of miles away, in a maternity hospital in London, England. The chances of us ever meeting were very remote, like winning on the lottery, but when God...

Liz was involved in the EAB church in Patos from very young. Liz is an amazingly strong devoted Christian. Many don’t realize what a rock she is because she rarely says much about it. I talk the hind legs off a donkey, but Liz gets on with the work, serves the Lord and never turns away a poor person in need. She taught a Sunday School class with 120 children when she was only 13 years old.

I was in Notting Hill, London at this time, at my church called Peniel Chapel. I too was involved in the church from very young, and I too was involved as a teenager with children’s work. My job was to go round with driver Steve Grantham in the church mini-bus and collect the kids to take them to church 4 times a week! My job was to knock on the doors of houses and flats and get the kids into the mini-bus. Our record number was 252 children one Tuesday night and not one was white! I loved the Anglo/West Indian community and still do.

My church was missions mad! Founded by pastor Ben Griffiths who was fruit of the 1904 Welsh Revival, he was a tremendous man of faith and missionary vision. We supported dozens of missionaries all over the world and this included Brazil. Our missionary family in Minas Gerais, in south east Brazil, were the Roults, and on their visits to the UK they stayed with their family a couple of streets from where I lived. I started hearing a lot and to feel God’s call on my life, and was already planning to head for Brazil one day still in my teenage years of child evangelism. It was just a matter of turning the West Indians into Brazilians!

I had never heard of north-east Brazil. Who had? My church worked down south and I thought one day that I might head there. However, 1966 (the year that England won the Football World Cup) was far more significant for my life for another reason. In the October the Millbrook Church youth from Southampton came to my church in London for a united youth service during which a young lady, who had recently arrived from north-east Brazil, was asked to sing Psalm 51 in Portuguese. My jaw dropped at her beauty!

I tried to chat to Liz after the service, but to no avail. I prayed a lot over the following weeks! In the New Year I went to run with my Cross-Country athletics club at Southampton and in the evening I went to see a Christian film for youth at a Baptist church and prayed that Liz would be there – and she was! But no amount of insistence for her to have an ice-cream with me after the film worked, but I kept praying. Then I heard that my church had invited EAB’s Frank Dyer to preach at our Good Friday morning service and of course I wondered could this be my answer to prayer? I contacted my friend David Irish in Southampton to invite Liz, Frank’s daughter, to my house for lunch after the service if she was coming with him. David “Sherlock” Irish discovered she was coming, together with her brother Sam, so he invited them both and they accepted! The rest is history.

Our courtship (see photo) lasted from Easter 67 to November 69 in which time I went to Liz’s house one weekend at Dibden Purlieu near Southampton and she came to mine on the other. All I heard constantly was about EAB and the needs of north-east Brazil! Frank, Liz’s Dad, showed me slides and told me endless stories about the Mission and I soon realized they had a point. The needs of north-east Brazil were incomparably greater than where my church was working in the south. Thus we got married at that same church in Southampton, who had visited mine 3 years earlier, and where God had brought Liz and I together. Pastor Winston Shearing conducted our wedding (leader of the Board of Trustees of EAB), Albert Mundy (EAB’s founder) also took part in the service as did Reuben Gunter, then pastor at Peniel Chapel, and Jack Dyer (pastor at Liz’s local church in the area at Hardley). Of course EAB missionary Frank Dyer gave away the bride and our good friend Pastor Colin Whittaker was also present. 6 ministers at one wedding did the trick!

Liz and I married committed to working with EAB in north-east Brazil and I studied at the IBTI in preparation for this. Later on I did a degree in theology at LBC (this was great) and a master’s degree at Leeds University. So at the beginning of August 1972 we took off to Patos, Paraíba, north-east Brazil, with our 4-month baby Deborah. And here we still are serving the Lord, but now with a bigger family. But I’ll tell you more about how our first years went here in Brazil in my next chapter…

No comments:

Post a Comment