Thursday 5 April 2018

I'm profoundly sad about Brazil's situation

I feel profoundly sad with the news just in of the imprisonment of ex-President Lula planned for tomorrow. I do not think he is an angel or agree with all his policies, but much less do I think his opponents are angels or agree with their policies. I am not convinced he is guilty, yet he is getting 12 years in jail. I am not convinced about the independence of the judiciary nor do I like the implied threats and undertones of the military.

From tomorrow onwards anything can happen in this country. It is split between right and left and I can't see this ending very peacefully. I think we are all in for a very rough ride. Ex-president Lula was on track to be re-elected president in October. Hence obviously his support base is very large. He was a very good president for the poor and for black people.

Please pray for safety, justice and peace in Brazil.

No comments:

Post a Comment