Thursday 7 May 2015

Election Day UK

Though I've been living in Brazil for 43 years and am a naturalized Brazilian, I have never lost or forgotten my roots in the UK, and of how since a child I have always stayed up on election night to wait for the results. This is especially strong for me today as today would have been my dear Dad's 90th birthday (I have certainly not forgotten him 13 years on from when he died in my home here in Brazil) and I always stayed up with Dad when I was young.

The election is said to be going to produce a hung parliament and induce another coalition government of some shape and form. It will be interesting to see how this evolves. Is Scotland finally going to stand up for itself and might Wales do the same next time round?

General elections are always a challenge for thinking Christians and it is always so difficult to define what are the most important factors at stake. That's why I like the Swiss system where there are referendums on just about everything as this gives the electorate a much greater freedom of expression about details. For example: under the present UK system you might like party A's economic policy but not their policies which in your view infringe Christian principles. Under the Swiss system you can vote on each thing separately. Under the UK system you have to opt for the least worst party and give them a blanket mandate with which you agree partially only. 

News on baby Amanda Ivy is good with her now completely off oxygen. She just needs to put some weight back on to get out of special care. Please continue to pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment