Wednesday 12 November 2014

What an awful shock!

I have been working all day on my messages for Friday and Saturday and was starting to wind down late this afternoon to get ready to go to a 'think-tank' meeting when... the phone rang and an hysterical Sister Socorro Help from the Patos church yelled at me screaming for Betinha to help her immediately at the Patos Children's hospital. I contacted Liz on her mobile and she set off to the other side of town to find out what the problem was. At that point we had no idea.

Liz phoned me from the hospital and told me that the 7 year old grandson of the lady who had phoned had dived through a glass door and been torn to shreds by the glass. Whatever made him do this we have no idea. Liz went into the emergency room at the hospital where they were fighting for João Marcos's life. The nurse asked if Liz was strong enough to cope with what she was about to see and Liz was and did go in and tried to cofort and calm the little boy who was desperate and terrified. Liz said she had never seen anything like it!

Sadly there were some internal deep wounds and they took him into intensive care to try and save him, but without success. 

Liz took the Grandma home and Philip set things up in the side hall at the church ready for the wake. I visited the Grandmother at her home and prayed with her before going to the wake from where I have just come. To see the little boy lying so sweetly in his little coffin is a sad sight. Liz is still at the wake. The funeral will be tomorrow at 4pm (7pm UK time) so please remember us in your prayers as I conduct that.

In the middle of all this, but before I had understood how seriously the lad was injured, I called in to visit Felipe at another hospital. He is a bit better but still has a fever and is very weak. Please pray for him too as he remains in hospital and still on a drip.

No comments:

Post a Comment