Thursday 27 November 2014

Rare Tree found at Green Pastures

Yesterday we received at Green Pastures the second university professor now working with us there, and what an afternoon it was. We walked in a southerly direction along the dry river bed and after a while the professor shouted: "Look at this! You've got a Vitex Gardneriana Tree! Why didn't you tell me"! I explained that I was only learning at that very minute what the tree is, and this morning I have discovered we have lots more of them!


The thing is that when you have a jungle-like environment with lots of trees of all shapes and sizes then many species can be hidden in the entangled branches, twigs and leaves. It needs an expert to turn up and spot and distinguish things. I am over the moon! What is more the tree is producing seeds now and when they turn black they are ready for picking. I will now collect the seeds and pass them on to the university to produce seedlings so as to propagate the species.


Now I have just received a phone call from someone wanting some leaves from the tree (she saw the photo I posted on facebook) because they are a herbal medication prescribed by a doctor for her kidneys! So it's all happening! She has been sending to get the leaves from a great distance until now.

However not all is joy and problems in one of our churches are giving me a real headache and I ask for prayers for wisdom and tact in dealing with the whole situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment