Saturday 25 October 2014

Election run-offs tomorrow

The second and final stage of the Brazilian general elections will be tomorrow, with voting from 8am to 5pm. We will be voting for the State Governor of Paraíba and the national President. I have long declared my support for the re-election of the Governor of Paraíba - my friend Ricardo Coutinho. I will of course be voting for him and hoping and praying for success as he has been a fantastic governor in his first term of office and we badly need him to carry on the good work. He has, for example, over the past 4 years tarmacked more roads than could ever have been imagined! This is a fantastic help to EAB as we can get round the field so much easier and quicker. Places like Curral Velho and Passagem are now reached by tarmacked roads. It is wonderful! Even the road which links Ibiara to Manaíra has been tarmacked and that was an unbelievably terrible road.

I have only this morning declared my vote for president as this has been a much more difficult decision to take. I will be voting for the re-election of President Dilma. The decision has been difficult because on the one hand I have long recognized the tremendous social benefits to the poor that her party has brought since it came to power 12 years ago. On the other hand they have serious internal problems with corruption and some positions which I do not like as a Christian. However one never finds the ideal candidate so weighing everything up I have come to the conclusion that the work done for the poor is outstanding and this has tipped the balance and decided my vote.

Having declared my vote I said on facebook that I am just being up front, but will not get involved in arguments about the matter and asked people to respect this. Those who don't - like one brother who has told me that evangelicals couldn't possible vote for the re-election of Dilma - and went on with loads of arguments about different things - has had his comments eliminated from my page as I am just not going to be drawn in to arguments about this. I have prayed and thought and read a lot for weeks to bring me to my decision which I take very seriously - so there we are.

We should have the result for Governor probably by 7pm tomorrow (11pm UK time) and the result for President about 9pm I would guess (1am UK time). We watch and pray.

I have just heard that Sister Socorro Help's mother has died. Sister Socorro Help is a member of our church and her mother was a staunch Roman Catholic in her 90s. The funeral will be at 8am tomorrow morning which is the same time as our church service - so we will have to somehow do both. Liz has just gone charging over to Sister Socorro Help to support her as she is very dependent on Liz in times likes these. Please pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment