Friday 24 October 2014

Back from Birdwatching

I got back to Patos at 11am after two exhasting but exhilarating days in the dry woods of western Paraíba in the County of Conceição and in the more humid state of Ceará in the County of Barbalha. I made little contact here on my blog as the internet link in my little hotel at night was useless.

Day one (Wednesday) saw me undertake the most strenuous decent and climb back out of a deep canyon at Mata Grande in Conceição. I was so pleased with how I coped physically with hours of walking and climbing in very hot weather and stony uneven terrain. The most exiting finds were three new Woodpeckers, which takes me up to 301 registers of Brazilian birds! There was the Golden-green Woodpecker, the Crimson-crested Woodpecker and the Ochre-backed Woodpecker! All are absolutely beautiful! Staggering!

Day two (Thursday) saw me setting out 15 minutes earlier than the previous day at 4.45am, having got up at 3.45am. We drove into the State of Ceará and I photographed again the fantastic 'Araripe Manakin' (see photo)



which was only discovered in 1996 and which is on the international Birdlife list as "in critical danger of extinction". These are breathtaking moments! David Attenborough was a great fan and supporter of this bird.

We got back to Conceição at 7.30pm and still went out looking for Nightjars/hawks till about 10.30pm! My Baptist pastor friend and I are as mad as each other! I got to bed just before midnight having not found a thing for our night travels!

I called in to visit the local EAB/ACEV pastor in Conceição this morning together with his wife. I had a lovely chat with them and was so pleased to hear how well the church is now going there. They are discipling 10 new converts which includes an entire family which used to be a regional music band and who now praise and worship Jesus. 

Upon driving through Ibiara on the way back to Patos I spotted Ben Price's vehicle and tried to see in which shop he was, but as I was unsuccessful I pressed on home as I was ready for a cup of tea! Thank you Lord for a lovely week! "The earth is the Lord's and everything that is in it"!

No comments:

Post a Comment